Hezbollah is gearing up to take over Lebanon ahead of an international tribunal's ruling on the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. The London-based al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper reported Tuesday that the Islamist group has been in contact with Shiite group Amal and pro-Syrian organizations in Lebanon in order to set a plan to seize control of the country after the court's ruling.
A source close to Hezbollah told the paper that the plan, which is focused on Beirut and south Lebanon, "Will end Saad Hariri and the Saudis' tenure in Lebanon for good." It is estimated that the UN court will place Hezbollah responsible for the Hariri's assassination.
On Monday, the Al Akhbar daily reported that "key element in the opposition (i.e Hezbollah) is holding an electronic discourse with Lebanese elements."
According to al-Sharq al-Awsat, the parties discussed the division of areas between the various forces in a way which will allow them to seize control of their respective areas when the time comes.
It was also reported that as part of preparations, Beirut will be divided into three military zones.
'No one can predict future'
A senior Hezbollah source refused to confirm or deny the report but said, "Everyone knows that the state in the Lebanon is a reason for concern, because all of the opportunities to 'solve the situation' have thus far failed.
"It would not be useful to discuss scenarios in the media, however no one can predict what will happen in the future," he added.
The Amal movement denied the report and said it was not in a position "to make plans for conflicts."
Last week, Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah called on the Lebanese people not to cooperate with IJC clerks after they visited a gynecological practice near Beirut and were attacked by 150 women who snatched one of their cases containing investigation materials.